Can you envision a place where an 8-year-old child alone with no parents is a s common as a single parent family in America? Or living in a community of more than 2000 people in dire poverty? That is exactly the place that God has challenged me to go and share His love through word and deed. June 19th – 26th, I will be going to the Dominican Republic with a team from our Southwest District of the UMC. We will: build a wall to protect a Church and the area’s only source of clean water, make repairs to a Church, install flooring in homes, building outhouses, and working with an orphanage.
For almost the last year, God has been steering our hearts towards the Dominican Republic. There are 1000’s of people that live in each batey. Their ancestors came from Haiti to work on the sugar cane farms. The Dominican Republic does not allow them citizenship and Hati says that they have been gone too long, so these are people that are literally without a country. The sugar cane farms are mechanized and so, the work has all gone away.
The people of the batey have special restrictions placed on them:
- Education only to the 8th grade
- Must work only day labor jobs (Pays around $2 USD per 12 hour shift)
- Only allowed power two hours per day.
- To leave the batey, special papers are required and if they leave without them then they are thrown in jail and sent back to the batey.
I’m excited about this opportunity. A trip of this mature requires both prayerful and financial support. The cost of the trip is $1400. I am inviting you to join me in the work God will be doing in the children and the people of the Dominican Republic. Here’s how you can help:
- Most importantly, I need your prayers that God will work in and through me in the trip.
- Secondly, any financial support you can give will be greatly appreciated.
- Third, purchasing a T-Shirt or Ladies Tank. (Pre-Orders Only. All profits go directly to my trip.)
I want to thank you for considering taking part in supporting me in God’s work prayerfully and or financially. To keep you updated on how you can pray for the team and me, I will send updates as the mission develops. When we return, I will send a follow-up to sharing what you help accomplished for God.
To support the mission, please Click Here.
Any money raised over the amount required for the trip will go to mission projects.